Students who plan to apply to schools of dentistry, medicine, optometry, and osteopathy typically major in a natural science (e.g., biology) or social science (e.g., psychology). In order to be prepared for the Dental Admission Test (DAT) or the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT), students should complete the following sequence of courses:
Required Courses (32 Credits)
- BION 101 - Principles of Biology I - 4 credits
- BION 101 - Principles of Biology II - 4 credits
- CPCN 101 - General Chemistry I - 4 credits
- CPCN 102 - General Chemistry II - 4 credits
- CPCN 201 - Organic Chemistry I - 4 credits
- CPCN 202 - Organic Chemistry II - 4 credits
- CPPN 101 - General Physics I - 4 credits
- CPPN 102 - General Physics II - 4 credits
Additional required Courses for MCAT Preparation (9 credits)
- CPCN 311 - Biochemistry I - 3 credits
- PSYN 101 - Introduction to Psychology - 3 credits
- SASN 103 - Introduction to Sociology - 3 credits
Other Required Courses (9 credits)
- LLEN 101 - English Composition I - 3 credits
- LLEN 102 - English Composition II - 3 credits
- MATN 261 - Statistics for Social Science Majors - 3 credits
Recommended Courses (12-20 credits)
- MATN___ - Calculus** or above - 4 credits
- BION 211 - Genetics - 3 credits
- BION 228 - Microbiology - 3 credits
- BION 318 - Cellular & Molecular Biology - 4 credits
- PSYN 351 - Biological Psychology - 3 credits
- ____ - Couse in Ethics - 3 credits
Total Credits: 62-70
- Each medical school sets its own requirements for admission.
- The requirements listed above are minimums only.
- These courses do NOT satisfy the requirements to graduate from Touro University. Students must choose a Touro University major.
- It is recommended that pre-med students do volunteer field experience in an Emergency room and hospital setting, shadow a physician, and do laboratory research.
- Social Science/Humanities is generally interpreted to include economics, English, history, philosophy, political science, psychology and sociology.
* taken outside of Touro
** required by some medical schools