Off-Campus Credit While a Lander College Student

Students wishing to take courses or equivalency examinations at another institution while attending a Lander College must obtain official permission in advance.  They must submit a completed “Permit to Attend Another College” form, which is available in the Office of the Registrar.  Failure to obtain official permission to take courses at another institution may cause either a delay in obtaining credit or complete disapproval of the transfer credit.


Equivalency Examinations

With a permit, students may receive college credit for selected subject area examinations given by the College Entrance Examination Board – College Level Examination Program (CLEP) and Advanced Placement Examinations (AP); Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES); selected proficiency examinations sponsored by certain colleges, and for Excelsior College (formerly Regents College) examinations.

Credit is generally not given for required courses or for business and economics courses taken through the CLEP program.  The maximum number of credits accepted in any category is twelve including AP.  However, the maximum number of credits by examination overall that Touro accepts is thirty.

Departmental Challenge Examinations

Students who can demonstrate proficiency in a particular subject may earn credits by taking a departmental challenge examination.  Interested students must make arrangements for taking the examination with the appropriate department chairperson, file a “Request to Take a Challenge Examination” form with the Registrar’s Office, and pay the necessary fee to the Bursar.


Transfer students seeking credits for previous academic work should arrange that an official transcript be sent to the Lander College’s Office of Admissions at 1602 Avenue J, Brooklyn, NY 11230.

It may be necessary to schedule a conference with department chairpersons if transfer credits are being offered to fulfill major, concentration, or other requirements.  Credits are generally awarded after evaluation for business, education, computer science, social science, and other liberal arts and sciences courses that were completed with a minimum grade of C at an accredited institution.

A maximum of six credits is generally granted for previous work completed in technical or professional programs not offered at Touro College.

The Lander Colleges award up to a maximum of 48 credits for post-high-school yeshiva and seminary studies.  Thus, students may enter the Colleges with sophomore standing.  Students who have completed one year of intensive Jewish studies in Israel may earn the equivalent of one year of college credit.  Students must document their yeshiva and seminary work by arranging for official transcripts to be submitted to the Lander Colleges for evaluation.  Credits are granted only in accordance with the Colleges’ academic policies.

Credits may not be awarded for courses taken more than 10 years prior to a student’s first semester at Touro College in computer science, natural sciences, business, and accounting.  Such transfer credit in all other areas is subject to individual departmental approval.

Transfer students may request in writing that all prior college work completed at a particular school(s) not be evaluated.  This decision is irrevocable.

Transfer students should be aware that a course taken at Touro that was previously passed at a prior institution will not count toward full-time status for financial aid purposes.  This may have adverse financial aid implications, and a Financial Aid officer should be consulted for further information.  If you pass a course at Touro for which you also received transfer credit at a prior institution, the transfer credit will be deleted.