Required Courses (6 Credits):
- LLE 222N - Shakespeare - 3 credits
- LLE 493N - Advanced Topics in English - 3 credits
Eight Electives From the Following (24 Credits):
Anglo-Saxon and Medieval
- LLE 301N - Anglo-Saxon and Medieval Literature - 3 credits
- LLE 302N - Chaucer - 3 credits
- LLE 315N - Tudor and Stuart Drama - 3 credits
- LLE 332N - Milton - 3 credits
- LLE 333N - Seventeenth Century Literature - 3 credits
Restoration and Eighteenth Century
- LLE 345N - Restoration and Eighteenth Century Drama - 3 credits
- LLE 346N - Restoration and Eighteenth Century Lit. - 3 credits
- LLE 351N - Romantic Poetry - 3 credits
- LLE 352N - Victorian Literature - 3 credits
- LLE 371N - American Literature before 1900 - 3 credits
- LLE 503N - Works of Jane Austen - 3 credits
Modern and American
- LLE 211N - Modern Drama - 3 credits
- LLE 361N - The Modern British Novel - 3 credits
- LLE 372N - The Modern American Novel - 3 credits
- LLE 373N - Modern American Poetry - 3 credits
- LLE 500N - Literature of the Holocaust - 3 credits
Total Credits in Program: 30
- All English majors must take Modern Literature I and II (Flatbush) or at least two of the Literature/humanities survey courses (Manhattan)
- At least one course must be taken in each of the six areas above.
- English majors are urged to take courses in foreign languages. The department grants three credits toward the major to any student who either takes a foreign language course at 200 level or beyond, or (2) takes a course in a foreign literature at the 200 level or beyond. Students whose native tongue is not English will NOT be awarded credit toward the major for courses in their native language.
- The Department grants three credits towards the English major to any student who successfully completes a Communication and Arts course at or beyond the 100 level (other than Fundamentals of Speech).
- The Department grants three credits towards the English major to any student who successfully completes a course in Philosophy at the 100 level or beyond.
- At least two courses in this degree program must be taken at the main campus in Manhattan.